- My thick, curly hair started blocking up the drain in my shower.
- I needed a hair catcher, so I went with the OXO shower drain cover.
- The silicone cover keeps hair out of the drain while allowing water to flow through.
Tall, dome shape accommodates both flat and pop up drains
Drain protector is weighted to keep it in place
Stainless steel and silicone construction.Product dimensions 4.5 x 4.5 x 2 inches
Edges of drain protector sit flush with the tub so no hair gets through
While showering, I comb my thick, curly hair, leaving a lot of stray strands behind. I used to let my hair fall down the drain for a long time.
Before you pass judgment on my irresponsible behavior, keep in mind that I made an effort to improve. I’ve purchased a variety of shower drain covers over the years, including a cheap wire mesh one that gathered soap scum and eventually rusted, a flower-shaped hair catcher with suction cups that was impossible to clean, and a pair of lovely pastel covers that turned yellow in a couple of weeks.
Almost all of them did a good job of trapping hair, but they also built a dam, leaving me standing in a few inches of soapy water. Mid-shower, I developed the practice of kicking the blanket aside. And as a result, baby Chewbaccas were frequently birthed from the depths of my sewer, snaked out by myself, my reluctant spouse, or the plumber summoned by my landlord when the situation became too serious (sorry, Murray).
This OXO shower drain cover was my last resort. Because it lacked suction cups, I doubted it would stay put, but I gave it a shot out of desperation. This cover has done precisely what it’s supposed to do for the past six months. After every shower, my hair now falls into the wastebasket, and bathing my dog has become a lot easier thanks to this drain cover.
- A flat or pop-up drain can be covered with the dome-shaped silicone cover. It’s held in place by a weighted metal disk on top.
- Even as hair gathers around the cover’s edge, water flows readily through the silicone perforations.
- If you bathe your dog in the bathtub, this cover will catch the fur just as effectively.
- Hair strands do not work their way through the perforations or become tangled, as they do with certain drain covers.
Last but not least
Most shower drain covers don’t do all they’re supposed to: trap hair, drain water, and clean up with a quick wipe and rinse. All of these things are accomplished with the Good Grips Silicone Shower and Tub Drain Protector, which costs only $12.